Get in on the conversation! To leave a comment, just click on a post title.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oh, a-thrifting we will go! (+ my new jeggings!)

Last weekend, KameraWhore and I went thrifting! We went to Goodwill and Plato's Closet. That's all we had time for, but we both had some successful finds. If you're not lucky enough to have a Plato's in your area, I am sorry for you. :( It's a consignment chain that caters mostly to a juniors dept. crowd. Some of the items cost a little more than you might traditionally find in a thrift store, especially if it's designer, but you're almost guaranteed to find something you like and in good condition. Much of my wardrobe has come from there. Another thing I like about it is the ambiance; they have really cute outfit ideas on mannequins and just hanging throughout the store, so you can get some good ideas.


I like the denim shirt over the dress! I'm not sure I'm cut out for wearing belts over two layers, though...
I love the look, but it's not real flattering on me when the material bunches up at the hips. :(

Kam found a pair of super awesome 70s-style plaid trousers. She didn't get them because she just didn't feel like she'd wear them enough, but they looked so cute on her. That can be one of the pitfalls of thrifting - everything is so cheap that it's easy to rationalize buying it, but you can end up with a closet full of things you'll barely wear. You have to really decide what "speaks" to you. She got a few shirts she needed. I got a shirt and a jersey dress. It seems like whenever I go thrifting and spot something I like, it's inevitably from Forever 21. If I see it and like it and grab it, I check the tag, and it happens almost EVERY TIME. In a way, it seems silly to buy thrifted stuff from stores you'd normally buy from anyway, but you know, if you like it, there's a reason.


KameraWhore being a...camera whore. ;) And rightly so!

Something else I recently got was...drumroll please...
JEGGINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my new fave word! I find excuses to say it. You know I've been wanting Pajama Jeans. Someone suggested I try out jeggings first. I did a quick search online, found some cute ones at Walmart for a whopping $12, and rushed over and bought myself two pairs!! The brand is Faded Glory. I got dark denim and black. Oh, my God, they are amazing! They are so comfortable. I know I'm late to the game here, but I think one reason I didn't get any sooner was because my one pair of skinny jeans is not comfortable and always leaves me feeling a little self-conscious about my hips. The stretchy fabric of these, the pockets, the way they're stitched, etc. make them much more comfy and forgiving. Walmart has really stepped up its game if you know where to look! Here's an outfit from their site that includes the same jeggings I got (they often group whole outfits you can buy at once); I actually think it's really cute and something I'd wear. The ensemble is out of stock now, but you could easily piece something similar together.

So once I discovered the comfort of elastic-waisted jeggings, I knew I had to have some bootcut Pajama Jeans. Forever 21 has bell bottom jeggings, but last I checked, they only have smalls for sale online and none in stores, and I'd need a medium. So I found a pair of Pajama Jeans on ebay...and I WON!!! I am so excited that I can hardly stand it. I no longer fear entering into an old lady world of elastic waistbands...the cut and shape are what matter the most, and actually, flat-banded elastic waists, at least on these jeggings, are way more flattering on me. You don't have the added bulk from buttons, seams, and zippers. These have a faux zipper, faux front pockets (except the teeny one is real, whatever that one is called), and real back pockets that are set at a place that is really flattering to your butt.

So here are the outfits I came up with around my new jersey dress, shirt, and jeggings.
Jacket: Rainbow, Shirt: Forever 21 via Plato's Closet, 
Jeggings: Walmart, Boots: Forever 21, Necklace: etsy


Jersey dress: Old Navy via Goodwill (with tank underneath), 
Sweater Tights: Anthropologie, Boots: Ross, Necklace: ours

After we got through shopping, we went to dinner at On the Border, and it was soooo good. I had fish tacos and accidentally left my leftovers at her house! Sigh. Hope she enjoyed them. But it was rather nice eating a good meal and NOT having to feel the discomfort of my jeans button denting into my full tummy since I was wearing jeggings. Then we watched almost three hours of Celebrity Ghost Stories on TV and spooked each other silly. There were two stories where a ghost had suddenly popped up in people's rearview mirrors, and normally I don't think seeing a ghost would scare me, but I made VainShane (Kam's husband) walk me to my car and then talked to my husband all the way home!! haha All in all, a good night. :)

Are you already on the jeggings bandwagon? How about Pajama Jeans? Why or why not?

And how do you feel about ghosts in your rearview? ;)