Get in on the conversation! To leave a comment, just click on a post title.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Secondhand Style by Kam


Spring is finally here, and as always, I'm feeling a strong desire for personal renewal. Although I love the winter season, I don't love the dreary, ho-hum feeling that eventually sets in after the holidays. For two months, I have yearned for the warmer weather. The glistening sun. The colorful landscape. My flip-flops! I'm excited about getting my hair done and polishing myself up a bit too. Can you believe I haven't cut or colored my hair since Jen's wedding? That was in October for goodness sakes! It's not that I've just let myself go. I simply don't get very excited about my winter wardrobe. This is largely due to my aversion to shoes. I would wear flip-flops year long if I could. Better yet, I'd go barefoot. I also don't enjoy the heaviness of bulky sweaters and coats. Not to be narcissistic or anything ;), but I just don't feel my cutest all bundled up and such. I know there are ways to look adorable while also dressing cold-weather friendly, but I just hate to spend my money on these items when there are so many fabulous tank tops, sun dresses and oh yes, flip-flops to invest in!

So like a said, I am in dire need of some form of personal renewal. Right now I'm focused on my wardrobe. That sounds a tad shallow, I'll admit, but it will most certainly cause a ripple effect that will boost my mood and self-confidence for the better. Plus, I am focusing my energy on secondhand stores that offer great deals. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again... bargain shopping makes me feel good! Knowing that I am shopping smart and saving money is like a natural high to me. And I'm buying items that may have otherwise ended up in a landfill, therefore, every purchase saves the Earth a little. My second hand style is good for mankind. Woo-Hoo!

I have fallen in love with my local Goodwill and Plato's Closet. They are both located near the University of Georgia, so the pickings are good! My daughter and I have made several trips recently, and we've had some great finds each time. This past Saturday, my goal was to find an outfit for girl's night this coming week. My two favorite bands are playing together and I want to look my best. I'll let you in on a little secret...I have this fantasy that one of the beautiful men we're going to hear play will see me through the crowd and have to meet me. Then we'll share an unforgettable moment, and he'll be mesmerized by me. Oh, and we'll embrace and indulge in a crazy hot kiss! Yes, I'm married. But it's okay. I have permission and so does he- ONLY in this type of fantastical situation. We're not weird or anything. I think Jen just may have this same fantasy, hee hee. I doubt we're the only ones either! Wow, I'm so off topic. Sorry y'all, these men are super hot! Where was I...

I found what may be the perfect outfit for the occasion. It is a plaid, halter style dress by Forever 21 that I picked up for $8 at Plato's Closet. The colors are orange, blue, and tan and it has orange piping, ribbon, and buttons. It has a retro feeling with a bit of country charm. The bands we're going to see are Folk Rock-Americana (or something along those lines), so it suits the occasion splendidly. It also shows off a bit of my tattoo, which I've been dying to do since I got it back in July! My only concern is the very low back and my non-perky chest. Since my little darlings won't cooperate and sit tall, I've purchased a sticky bra from Wal*Mart. The thing comes in two pieces and clasps in the middle (no straps and no back). Apparently the further apart you place the two cups, the more cleavage you get. I'll have to let you know how it goes. My expectations aren't too high (sort of like my chest), but it sure would be great to not look deflated during my big moment, ha ha. Here's a few pics... 

The low back 

A peek at my tattoo :)

What do y'all think? Do you have a favorite spot where you know you'll find exactly what you're looking for... whether you were looking for it or not? Oh, and what type of shoes should I wear with my dress? ;)

And now, a look into my fantasy world...
Cute Langhorne
 
Sultry Scott (his brother's in the band too!)