Get in on the conversation! To leave a comment, just click on a post title.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Fashion before comfort?



If you'd told me even six months ago that I would have actually purchased not one, but two, pairs of Crocs, I'd have probably laughed in your face. But that's when I didn't know how many styles they come in now and how good they make my little tootsies feel. On a trip to New Orleans for Easter weekend, I thought I was going to die...either from heatstroke or from shin splints! I thought I was used to walking, but oh, was I wrong! I literally didn't think I could take another step at one point. Then I borrowed my almost-mom-in-law's Crocs sandals, and suddenly, I kid you not, the pain was gone, and I was ready to walk the rest of the day anywhere we needed to go! I couldn't believe it. I had no idea how comfortable they were or that they came in any style other than the clog. I decided then and there that I needed to get some for my very own, which I did when we went on our beach vacation. She and I and a family friend headed into town to the Crocs store, on a mission! When we walked in the door, I was assaulted by the overpowering smell of plastic. I would have a non-stop headache if I worked there. But they had tons of styles, and I was surprised at how cute some of them are. I ended up buying a pair like hers because they felt so nice on my feet, and I also got a pair that is slightly more "dressy." I know, "slightly dressy Crocs" sounds like an oxymoron. But really, they are quite cute. They have  a slight wedge-effect heel. I am actually really excited about these shoes. These are the first comfortable shoes I think I have owned in years! I'm very odd about what has to be comfy and what doesn't. I could care less if my bra is pretty; I just want it to be comfy. But shoes, well, I will suffer and blister and moan, but dammit, my shoes will be cute. There have been plenty of times when we needed to walk a lot, and I just didn't want to wear the shoes I exercise in. Running shoes just don't go with everything, and in the summertime, it makes you hotter to wear them, so I'd wear something cute and be in pain. Now I can kinda have the best of both worlds when I need it! Yay. Look out, honey, 'cuz now we can walk around the mall for longer!! ;)

Do you subscribe to the "fashion before comfort" motto? Does it apply to everything or only certain things? Would you ever buy Crocs?

5 comments:

Ariel Grimm said...

I have always heard crocs described as 'the ugliest shoes ever' but I have an old lime green pair with a tinkerbell charm and I think they look kind of futuristic forest/dutch!

Nicki said...

Oh dear. This is a tough question - I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy a pair of Crocs, at least not in the clog style. The sandals you have pictured here don't look too bad though, and I have heard people say they're very comfortable.

Jenarcissist said...

Ariel, when you describe them that way, they really sound awesome!! Love that.

Nicki, you are only one step away from buying them; I can sense it!! Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

KameraWhore said...

I dunno Jen, my $2 thongs seem to work just fine for my youthful feet. Maybe the years are beginning to break down that lovely body of yours ;)..Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! (love you hottie!)

Jenarcissist said...

Need I remind you, Kam m'dear, that you are older than moi?? haha j/k You know what else I wanna get now? FitFlops. What is happening to me?!!

Post a Comment

Hey, you made it this far down. You wouldn't wanna leave without saying hello, now, would ya?